Aug 7, 2009

Coco Scare

So the past couple of days have been very stressful in the Wheeler home. A few days ago I started to notice that my little Yorkie Coco's stomach was getting fat. At first I thought she was just gaining weight, maybe from the new treats I got her. Then she started having a hard time jumping up on the couch or bed, then she started to be very sluggish on her walks. So I got her new food and started her on a diet. The next day, her abdomen was even bigger and very hard. The first thought was, is she pregnant? Then I realize she couldn't possible be, because she isn't around any male dogs, ever. So like a worried mom, I started thinking about all the things it could be. I told Jesse I was really concerned and we need to take her to the Vet. Well of course I couldn't wait for the morning, so at 10:00 pm two nights ago we headed to the Emergency Vet. They took Xrays and pulled the fluid from Coco's abdomen, and told us its either her heart or liver causing the problem. They sent us home with some antibiotics and told us to get her to her regular vet in the morning. So after a sleepless night, I called the Vet and they got Coco in right away. After an hour and a half examination, they told me they were going to keep Coco there all day to run test. We were told its most likely her heart causing the problem. When we returned to pick her up the vet ran us through all the test they did and what to do with Coco that night. Turns out, they pumped 150cc from her abdomen of fluid, ran a CBC test, Urinalysis, ECG, and a list of other things. Basically little Coco's heart is not pumping like it should, causing low blood pressure. So she sent us home with 4 medications, and we are still waiting on the ECG results today. That will basically tell us what is exactly wrong with her heart and what meds she will need to be on for the rest of her life. I am going crazy because I hate waiting for the results, but the Vet was very confident she knew the problem, and more then likely Coco will just be medicated for the rest of her life. Sad, but I am ok with it because it means she will be with us much longer! So needless to say, the past few days have been stressful because we thought we might loss our little Coco bug. She is like a kid to us and she brings so much happiness to our home!

2 comments:

Paityn Ann said...

Tiff that's so scary! I have had very similar experiences with our little yorkie! she also has to be on meds for her life and has been since she was 5 months old. It's so much better to have them around though. I hope all is well. Keep me updated! Talk to ya soon

BriAnne said...

Oh how scary! I am so glad that they pretty much figured it out!